Forum home Plants

Climbers for very sheltered shady area

janer2janer2 Posts: 59
We have two trellises on the wall next to our front door. The wall is west facing and very sheltered. It does get a bit of afternoon sun but there’s a fence not far opposite so actually not very much even then. Any suggestions for what might thrive here - in a pot. We currently have a honeysuckle which has been here for years, doesn’t flower much and often has issues with fungus etc. We did have a climbing rose on the other trellis but it didn’t flower much either despite being in a huge pot, and as you can see had a lot of mildew too. It’s now thriving in the same pot in the south facing back garden. Any suggestions for truly shade loving climbers which will be ok in a big pot? Thank you!

• Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
    Lots of clematis varieties would be happy here, many are happy in pots too. I've always had good plants from Thorncroft nurserys, have a look at their website  :)  I've also grown an annual 'morning glory' (I forget the Latin name) up a north facing wall and didn't get loads of flowers but got loads of lush lovely foliage. On balance I'd go with clematis though, so easy to look after too. 
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Yes, a clematis or two (but I would say that), maybe Clematis 'Fujimusume' or 'Etoile Violette', it needs to be unfussy to cope with shade and a pot, but at least it'll get a bit of sun  :)
    When they dont get a lot of heat on them, clems can suffer a bit from mildew (like your honeysuckle) so you might want to consider increasing the size of the wood to which the trellis is attached, so as to bring them further off the wall and create some 'air space'
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    aconitum hemsleyanum
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    One of the alpina or macropetala or koreana clematises will be fine there. They like drier conditions, and pots inevitably become drier.
    Look at Taylor's Clematis, Thornecrift and Hawthornes. There are hundreds of choices.

Honeysuckle will not thrive in a pot, no matter what you do with it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...