Forum home Plants

What tree is this?

This multi stemmed tree is in the garden of the house I recently moved too, along with the conifers. It looks like some sort of willow. Earlier it had typical yellow fat pussy willow catkins. Anyone know hat it might be.
Thanks

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,688
    I agree with you, it does look like a willow tree to me, but quite difficult to know which one. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391
    Looks like a Willow (Salix species) to me too, but don't know which (even experts find it hard.)  I do know that the vast majority grow far too big for the average garden though!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • It has glossy narrow green leaves (paler and mat underneath) that are about 8 or 9 cm long and 1cm wide at the widest point.

The leaves all seem to be towards the end of the branches.

The branches are easily snapped off if it gets very windy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391
    In that case it's probably a hybrid 'Crack willow' (Salix x fragilis), which gets it's name from doing exactly that!
    See what you think:
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi Bob
    I would agree it could be a type of crack willow.
    However the catkins started to appear mid March and had fully developed and fallen off by mid April before any leaves started growing.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Is it related to the methamphetamine tree? Sorry, couldn't resist - just started rewatching Breaking Bad  :)
  • Very funny Mickey 😂😂😂.
    Breaking Bad will keep you occupied for a while.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Particularly since I can't watch it when my partner's around cos it distresses her too much!