Forum home Garden design

Ideas for a barren spot

What can I do with this area?

This is an area which was grassed but we dug it up as it looked unhealthy.

We did replant roses from other areas of the garden along the wall but they don't appear to have handled the relocation too well and are wilting after only three days despite daily watering and being planted with bonemeal and compost. My wife has indicated she would to have higher flowers / ornamental grasses at the external boundary and lower ones nearer the walled edge at the bottom right of the pic. Essentially were looking to cover the ground but would maybe incorporate some little stepping stones to make it a bit of a feature. I also considered whether a prarie would look nicehnice? The soil here is acidic like the rest of the rear garden. The dimensions for this area are 83 inches x 133 inches.

We're looking at keeping the blossom tree but not fussed about the other.

Any advice appreciated. 😊

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 731
    It looks shady and dry. How much sun does it get? What is the soil like?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    edited 2 May
    How high is the conifer? I don't think it ties in with the blossom tree at all and is probably sucking all the moisture out of the ground. I would be inclined to take it out completely unless it's hiding the house windows opposite. The roses hopefully will survive, just give them time as they are usually moved in their dormant state over winter. They need to be about 2 ft away from the wall though. 

It might look better if you planted more of whatever the bush is on the left-hand side in front of the wall.  I would also be inclined to put down a good quality membrane and lay purple or green slate chippings (or pave it) over the whole area with just a few flowering plants near the small wall where your wife wants them. 
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,451
    If it is a shady area, you could consider a little relaxing area with Acers, Hostas, Ferns, Geraniums etc. with a seat. 
    The idea of tall grasses with some Prairie flowering plants sounds good - try Heleniums, Echinaceas and Rudbeckia - but they like sunny sites. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • CumbriManCumbriMan Posts: 67
    I'm thinking of putting something like this in the centre and planting around it.

The tree on the right will be stumped / taken out (I expect the roots to be quite established).
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,045
    You'll get better results if you can get the roots of the conifer out. That would allow you to dig over the soil (not near the cherry tree though!) and replenish it with something like well-rotted manure or garden compost.
    @jennyl I agree. I'm  just a bit worried they'll have spread under next doors drive as the tree is really close to the boundary wall 😬

I'll give it a good shot though. Took the roots all out from a big Holly bush last year; it was like a full body workout 🤣
    Well I finally decided to take the conifer down but had to abandon midway as we have a pigeon claiming squatters rights! Looks like I'll have to wait until nesting season is over and make a mental note to do such jobs earlier next year 😕
  • tom19940912tom19940912 RussiaPosts: 4
    I think you can plant some shallow grass in this small corner for decoration, add a set of table next to it, and match it with one or two small types of chairs, so you can come here to relax when you are relaxing.
    Look up at the starry sky on the comfortable lawn and see all the prosperity...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,028
    Take your time @CumbriMan and do  a few sketches with various ideas too. 
    The one thing I would say about the prairie style planting is - unless you have a huge area, it rarely looks good. It can be really dull and messy for a large part of the year too. The perennials used in them are good though - and you can mix those with smaller shrubs etc to give more long term interest. A big 'statement' pot can be a useful addition, and you can change the contents with the seasons.
    I'm guessing it's quite overlooked , from your pic, so I think your wife is right - something to disguise that boundary a little bit. Lots of bulbs will work too - and great for spring with the tree.

Pigeons eh? B***ers aren't they?  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks, I'm definitely looking at doing the pebble pond, with some high plants, grasses around the far boundary of it  and adding some low level further interest towards the blossom tree which I'll keep; just have to hide my time until the Pigeon decides to bid me Au revoir!