Forum home Plants

Pampas grass for light shade - any 1st hand experience?

dilbydilby Posts: 77
Hi all - I'm looking to get a pampas grass to soften a corner in my bed, wanting to give it room to get nice and large. I've spotted some pink ones that I love, but am yet to narrow down a specific type. The location would be semi-shade and moderate moisture (probably around 5-6 hours of dappled sun throughout the day at the moment), and I can't work out how much sun they actually require; different sites seem to say different things, although I'm sure I spot them all over the place in the UK, including shade. Does anyone know how safe a bet this is? Thanks so much!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,415
    Have you got space for about 1.5 m x 1.5 m monster? They are virtually impossible to remove without a digger when they are mature. There are better grasses available, have a look at the various varieties of Miscanthus. 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,690
    It can’t be seen from the road, I hope. I take it you know the plant has ‘connotations’.
    Rutland, England
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,633
    I've grown one west facing, with afternoon sun... if you must get one, do consider the dwarf version called 'Pumila'.. it's the only one I've grown and it can actually look quite acceptable.. easy to manage, or remove if necessary... you should also be made aware that the grassy parts are very sharp, and if you run your bare hands through them, they will cut...
    East Anglia, England
  • Pampas also self-seeds....
    Southampton 
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    I inherited two with the house (not sure about the variety, probably some of the smaller/medium ones), one in a partially shady corner of east-facing back garden and one in a west-facing front garden (afternoon sun). I kept one, removed the other, it wasn't easy but doable. It's one of those plants I wouldn't plant myself but I don't mind having it.
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 1,673
    I would go with miscanthus, for example ‘morning light’ is beautiful. 
  • SkylarksSkylarks Posts: 379
    BenCotto said:
    It can’t be seen from the road, I hope. I take it you know the plant has ‘connotations’.
    I had to google. Explains why I don’t see them anymore!
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Some of us remember those days @Skylarks and have a deep seated cultural and social aversion to putting the plant anywhere near the garden  :D 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 1,673
    Neighbours have one, now looking at them in a new light 😆 
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 538
    edited May 2020
    When we go for a walk we always look out for Pampass Grasses. Not that we are that way inclined, we just wonder if the people who do have them are or not and if they are not do they know what the connotations are🤣🤣