Forum home Wildlife gardening

A Very Welcome Sight

In these times of uncertainty and quite often at the moment sadness, today I saw something that gave me hope and made me smile. Through the grey skies and rain I saw my first Swift. Just one, but it made me feel so happy. That tiny bird had flown so far and may have endured so much to arrive here. It makes you realise that summer is not far away and there are better days to come.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Lovely! It has been a wonderful Spring, I think, a great source of comfort in difficult times.
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    A wonderful sight indeed, many people will be enjoying such sightings for the time I bet since they wouldn't normally be at home at such a 'quiet' time.

I have been wondering what impact the majorly reduced number of aircraft will have on the numbers of migrating birds.

I live close to Heathrow under a flight path and the silence is deafening so I imagine the checker van drivers and bird scarers will be on other duties just now.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett