Forum home The potting shed

🐗 CURMUDGEONS' CORNER 8 - room for the peeved and cantankerous too🐗

B3B3 Posts: 12,516

The corner has been redesigned to facilitate social distancing and to accommodate the peeved and cantankerous.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,369
    Do we need to reserve a slot  :D
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,516
    This may be necessary later but at the moment we have plenty of space
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,370
    I imagine that some of us will find we have places prebooked for us by others 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

No ticket touts will be tolerated
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,369
    I'll start then.............I have just experienced the opposite of Fly Tipping.  Someone has just walked off with a large old fashioned cast iron radiator during the night !!
    I was planning to flog it on Ebay to earn a bit of cash to go towards clearing the remaining 30 years of rubbish.
    Saves me the trouble I suppose but what intrigues me is how they managed to cart it off so quickly and efficiently.
    I'm assuming this actually constitutes theft ( on obviously private property ) tho had they knocked on the door and asked, I would probably have said they could have it.  As it is, I hope they managed to drop it on their feet or put their backs out >:)
    That's a good start I think :D

We were replacing a boiler and cast iron bath. I asked the plumber how we were going to get rid of them. He said just leave them in the front garden and they'll be gone in the morning.
    And so they were😊
    A couple of days later someone knocked to ask if they could have the copper immersion heater tank. This was in the back garden and not visible from the street but I suppose it was easy enough to work out we had one. I'd promised it to the plumber so they didnt get it.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,062
    A few years ago we were having our back garden remodelled and at the same time our bathroom was being refitted (not by the same people).  I had agreed that the people doing the garden could take any metal they found out there. 
    A couple of days later the guy doing the bathroom asked if I had moved the radiator he had put out under our car port whilst he was tiling the bathroom.  We hadn't, but the people doing the garden had helped themselves to it.  They didn't need to go under the carport to get to the back garden.  Upside, we got a lovely new, fancy heated towel rail to replace it - at their expense.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    Result KT53!  Now what can I leave out...…..
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,625
    I've been moving a stupidly heavy "chiminea" around the garden since we moved here and I thought I'd move it to the gate, then remembered that our builders often collect "scrap metal" so I asked if they wanted it. Gone in days.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,045
    We have left out a set of old car wheels that OH couldn't be bothered to take to the tip, and an old washing machine drum. Both times gone after a week or so. I think our local "scrap metal collectors" keep their eyes on things and take them if they're out for several days. If they knocked they could've had them sooner.