Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pigeon in the cherry tree

Morning all,

Im working and wondering what a wood pigeon is eating off my cherry tree - its still in blossom so it cant be cherries!  

It looks like its pecking the leaves, and it has nothing in its mouth like it was nesting...could it be insects?

Cheers

TP

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,703
    More likely the leaf/flower buds :/
  • GartenerGartener South EastPosts: 99
    Woodpigeons are a pest. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    It’s eating the blossom and young leaves ... at my last job my desk looked out onto a garden with cherry trees ... during long phone calls at this time of year I watched the pigeons eating the cherry leaves. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Okay, I wasn’t seeing things then - cheers.   We have two (I think) that return each year.  They have a bit of an argy bargy with the magpies sometimes but I don’t think of them as pests, quite nice in their way.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    I'm quite fond of mine. One lonely old b*gger's quite tame. 
    They sh*t all over my car, and bumble around in the conifer, but I can live with that. 

They taste good too...
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    😁 @Fairygirl
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    edited April 2020
    Yep, I’ve noticed the wood pigeon couple we have over here, tearing bits off next door’s philadelphus. I wondered what it was doing...
    The magpies are worse -they’re string enough to rip entire small branches offer nesting.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,581
    Maybe ask Yvonne1969 to bring the cat over!  Kill "2 birds" with one stone (or cat)!!

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,703
    Sometime last year there were some pigeons making a racket outside and my OH, joking, told our elderly, indoor cat to hire a "hit cat" to get them. A few days later we found a dead pigeon in the garden, with a wound that looked like a cat (or maybe dog or fox) had had a go at it :o .