Forum home The potting shed

4 days from sowing on a windowsill: these are 2 different Cosmos sown in Homebase peat free compost.

• What am I supposed to do with such leggy seedlings...cannt pot them up yet?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,923
    edited April 2020
    It’s low light levels coupled with too much warmth. Don’t think you have any choice other than to prick them out into individual pots or modules ... bury the stem as deep as you can ... and move them somewhere cooler and brighter ... but not cold. 

Or start again ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,717
    I'd start again. They germinate really quickly - even outside at this time of year.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hi Dovefromabove,
    thanks for the comments and advice, these were on a south facing windowsill, no heating just direct sun from morning to night...to be honest I am gobsmacked at the rate of germination and growth...if i pot on now I don't think they will survive because the roots are not developed enough!...do I take the chance or start again?
  • Hi B3...yes maybe I will sow a fresh batch...it's just a shame to see these seedlings grow so fast and then discard them!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    I'd agree - far too much heat.
    Normally, they would have been fine, but temps have been very high, very early. It's led to lots of problems for people sowing seed. 
    A wee second batch, and not quite so much heat for them, and you should be fine. Remember to turn them every day too  :)

It's a fine balance sometimes.  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Fairygirl, and to all who have commented..all your help and advice is really appreciated...i would have sown in the greenhouse but no space!

So, I shall try to pot them up and sow some more in the hope that they take a little longer to germinate...

As always; the Gardeners World forum always provides much needed help and advice...Thank you all and please stay safe.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    I'm sure you'll have better success with the next lot @kevincooper112 :)

Pot those on anyway, and then see how they compare with another lot sown in less hot conditions. It's always a good experiment, and good practice in pricking out and potting on    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LOL, thanks Fairygirl, yes I will pot them on...I have my doubts though as the roots will be very few after 4 days... I do enjoy pricking out and potting on though, :)  and yes it will be a good experiment.  :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,509
    Yes, Dove has said it all, mine germinated in minutes in a NE facing conservatory, I am turning them every day.