Forum home Plants

Grasses that Move and Make a Noise

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
I want to add some grasses ....5 foot tall min.... that make a noise in the wind.
Its to plant just inside my front garden wall by the pavement for the passers by to touch and hear

? Any suggestions friends.
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,451
    Stipa gigantea (Golden oats) perhaps?  I always think that looks pretty spectacular and the wind makes it rustle  :)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    I like Molina 'windspiel' tall, graceful and wavy. I cant remember if it actually makes a noise though. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,365
    Stipa Gigantica is fantastic but does grow over a metre width. You could try one of the miscanthus perhaps. If you go onto the Knoll Gardens at Wimborne, Dorset website, they will probably have a guide to most grasses. It's owner Neil Lucas is renowned for his expertise on grasses. Personally I'm not sure that they ever rustle in the wind loud enough to hear but then I'm partially deaf anyway! 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,451
    Like everywhere else they're under pressure,  but it never hurts to have browse in the meantime 
    https://www.knollgardens.co.uk/
    Just remembered l have 2 free tickets to visit them, let's hope they reopen before the end of September 🤞
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,678
    I think Miscanthus would be a good bet, it's pretty tough. Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' is also good. These are less 'airy' than some grasses though, I'm not sure if they would make any noise. They're less likely to get FLATTENED by the wind though, which is a problem with some, especially near a house.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".