Forum home Plants

Predatory mites (P. persimilis) and rain!

Hi guys,

Just bought some predatory mites for the first time to try and help control a recurring spider mite problem on house/balcony plants. 

Trouble is, after waiting patiently like the instructions said to apply the mites after a few dry days, I put them on, and a day later the heavens opened and it rained all day long

I can’t see any of the mites on balcony plants this morning, but then again they are tiny. 

I just wondered are they likely to have all been washed off/killed by the rain??

Thanks!

M

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,437
    Probably but if they have been then so have your spider mites. Have you tried regular misting to keep their numbers down?
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Probably but if they have been then so have your spider mites. Have you tried regular misting to keep their numbers down?
    I wish. No amount of weather seems to get rid of the little buggers. Almost destroyed our entire balcony last year. Yeah tried misting, pesticides, neem oil. Only thing we hadn’t tried yet is biological control. But now those may all be dead!! Argh. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    I just read today that if you are Introducing predatory bugs then it's best to net or fleece over the area to stop them spreading too far out before they can get established. I've never used them myself but it sounds sensible.