Forum home Tools and techniques

Sharpening tools

I am interested in sharpening my gardening tools, which includes secateurs, shears, loppers etc, could anyone recommend something for this please? Is it possible for one device or do i need several? I have a 'tool sharp' but can't say i am that impressed, unless i am doing something wrong, which is quite possible! What do you use and how often? t i a 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Cigar pattern scythe stone 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    I've been gardening for almost 50 years and I've never ,ever sharpened any of my tools. 
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    If they're fairly blunt then a diamond coated stone will make short work of getting an edge back on them. Using a flat stone takes a bit of practice to get the angles right and consistant but means you don't have to get a different sharpener for each tool if they all have different angles. Ceramic stones are great for quick touch ups as they don't remove metal and that will make the tools last longer.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 702
    Thanks @GemmaJF and @wild edges i will look into those.
    @Hostafan1 I am fascinated that you have never had to sharpen any of your tools as i know you have had some for many years. I must be totally doing something wrong as my tools are always blunt and ripping stems etc, i know i occasionally overstretch my secateurs/loppers for stems/branches that are too thick for them. :(
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,471
    Spam ???
  • Fran IOM said:
    Spam ???
    Huh?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,229
    @EternalSunshine , I think Fran was worried that your post might be construed as advertising (against forum rules). I'm sure you weren't , but you'd be surprised how often it happens.
  • KiliKili Posts: 714
    edited May 2020
    I bought one of these many years ago for £18. I cant believe all this time has passed and there now only £22.

Its what I use to sharpen most of my tools . Does my axe perfectly. Whip the lawn mower blade off each year and sharpens nicely with this and the grindstones are still pretty solid 7 years later.

B&Q are saying not available at the moment but, you get the picture . Might be the solution for you. It was for me.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• AnniD said:
    @EternalSunshine , I think Fran was worried that your post might be construed as advertising (against forum rules). I'm sure you weren't , but you'd be surprised how often it happens.
    Ahh, understood. New to the forum and just trying to get involved 🙂