Forum home Plants

Soil depth for Aubretia?

GeedersGeeders Posts: 4
Hi, I've just built a limestone semi dry wall and there is an area along the top for a couple of inches depth (max) of soil, is this enough for aubretia? Thanks G

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    I very much doubt it.
    On a hot day the soil will dry in an hour and the plants will be dead within a couple of hours.
    I'm sure there are plants and methods that could work, but it's not something I have any knowledge of I'm afraid.
    Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • GeedersGeeders Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply, that was my fear although I'm able to spread the soil a long way horizontally and cover it with stones.  
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    It doesn't matter how long the soil is it's the soil depth that's needed. 2" depth of soil will dry out in no time.
    I've seen may photos of dry stone walls with all sorts of plants popping out here and there - you just need some help identifying which plants and how to get them going.
    Some info here may help-
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=961

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • GeedersGeeders Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link, very helpful  :)
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,681
    I think you need to make a soil cavity within the wall and plant the aubretia with it's roots in that and the plant poking out through the stones. You're going to have more success planting in the winter so there is more time for the roots to establish during damp conditions.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".