Forum home Tools and techniques

Preparing ground for turf

Hi, I hope everyone is safe and well. 

I have been using my extra time to start renovation on my garden. The whole garden was crazy paving and we would like to replace this with an area of grass.

I have removed the crazy paving, flower beds and shed. Keeping the soil to put over the top. 

My question now is what do I need to do to prepare the ground for turf. Under the crazy paving is mainly sand, some sections are very hard and I have removed these where possible. 

The plan was to break up the surface of the sand, put the soil from the flower beds over the top of the sand, then buy some additional top soil to put over the top.

Should I break the sand up more, I could hire a rotorvator if needed? If not what depth of soil would people recommend?

Thanks in advance! 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Welcome to the forum.
    DO you need grass for children?
    If not I would put in a curved path with borders both sides.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Unfortunately the sand is mostly likely builders sharp sand, not horticultural silver sand.

You are probably best to bin all the sand, as it is not ideal in soil, it could tend to make it 'set' (like the hard bits you have found) which could cause drainage issues and a soggy lawn.
  • KiliKili Posts: 722
    K67 said:
    Welcome to the forum.
    DO you need grass for children?
    If not I would put in a curved path with borders both sides.
    Me too. A lawn in such a small space will be a a complete pain to maintain.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'