Forum home Wildlife gardening

Unexpected pea burglar caught on trailcam!

BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
I set up the trailcam as my pea seedlings were being nibbled and was expecting to see mice or woodpigeons.  Turns out that greenfinches like new pea shoots!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    That's a very smart looking pea frame!  Great to see a greenfinch too.  We lost all the ones that used to come to the feeders in the Belgian garden and have seen only one or two at a time here.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I found a 6m x 0.5m roll of plastic coated wire netting in the garage and couldn't remember what I'd bought it for so thought I'd put it to good use (Geoff Hamilton style of course!)  Hopefully, some of the 'Lord Leicester' tall peas will make it through the greenfinch munching..
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Really sweet @BobTheGardener
    The greenies obviously that too... ;)

We used to get them regularly round here, but they're almost non existent now. I've seen a couple when I've been out walking, but I see siskins more often. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Update: I used panels of 4mm polycarb sheet (which internally line one of the greenhouses in the winter) to protect them until they have grown a bit:

The greenfinches will have to make do with the sunflower hearts!