Forum home Problem solving

New lawn, no idea on how to plant border

I just replace the old existing lawn that was basically just moss, I've spent the last 4 days digging out and turfing, just waiting on Sleepers getting delivered for the border edging. I don't know any names or types off plants at all, so hopefully you kind people can help me out.

A few things I like. 

I love big leaves bright, dark dont matter  what, that and a mixture of grasses for different contrast. 

Would like flowering at different parts of the year. 

How much space is needed for trees to provide some privacy between us and next door nothing overpowering about 3m height max.

I've relocated a pear tree and its looking terrible now, will it come back? 

• ThebigeasyThebigeasy Posts: 163

Picture of pear tree looking miserable and two smaller plants the wife bought that are worse than the pear tree. Read this might just be shock. 
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,639
    edited April 2020
    Other than the tiny triangle with the pear tree, I can't see a border to plant into?

You probably need at least 4 feet deep to do anything interesting, anything less is going to look very mean with a lawn that size. In fact 4ft wide will look like it's clinging to the edges IMHO! You could easily go much wider with that amount of space. 

Trees... I think 3m is a bit too small, I'd be thinking birches, amelanchiers, ornamental cherries etc, which are not really large trees but much bigger than 3m.

As for the pear you moved... only time will tell! ;)
    WillDB said:
    Other than the tiny triangle with the pear tree, I can't see a border to plant into?

Thats the width of the border along the 3 sides including the fence line in the picture. Can make widenings in the border along the fence line to fit trees in if possible. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I don't think that's wide enough for anything much more than a row of bedding plants, and it might be pretty dry so close to the wall due to rain shadow. To my eye it looks out of proportion with the size of the grass area. In a garden that size I'd be looking to make borders about 2m to 2.5m wide to plant with lots of shrubs and perennials, but it depends what you want to grow and how much time and money you want to spend on it.

If you plant trees/shrubs, don't forget to check the eventual spread and plant far enough away from the boundary so that they won't overhang.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,639
    edited April 2020
    There's an article with some ideas here, but to be honest, that border is very mean compared to your lawn. It's adequate if you just want to grow a hedge or plant climbers to cover the fence in a sort of simple and tidy way. But your question suggests you want more interest than that?

Could you cut out some sweeping curves that allow a bit more depth and reduce the sense of it being a football pitch? (You may want a football pitch of course in which case ignore me!)

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/best-plants-for-narrow-borders/
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,577
    Hi @Thebigeasy What is the overall size of your garden? Could you post a rough map of your property showing aspect (NESW), house, width & length (preferably in metres). Apparently, as mentioned by @WillDB the width you intend to allocate to the borders is too narrow.
    I do like your fences. I can't see any posts on those pics. Where are they?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Papi Jo said:
    Hi @Thebigeasy What is the overall size of your garden? Could you post a rough map of your property showing aspect (NESW), house, width & length (preferably in metres). Apparently, as mentioned by @WillDB the width you intend to allocate to the borders is too narrow.
    I do like your fences. I can't see any posts on those pics. Where are they?
    That area of lawn is 215sqm which is just under half our back door area the rest has still to be renovated. Thanks in regards to the fence, it's double sided so posts are in the middle @WillDB I'm not against making the borders bigger for what I'm looking for, I'm totally new to this so have no idea what is needed so any any and all info is appreciated. 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    edited April 2020
    I will also second removing one layer of turf to double your border space. I am biased towards fruit trees and bushes since they are so low maintenance, regrow every year, produce fruit and can look very good so that is what I will suggest.
    Some good candidates would be raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants, Blueberries, Juneberries, cherry trees (dwarf rootstock if possible to keep them small) and Strawberries.

I'm sure people will have good suggestions for ornamentals, you have a lot of space, you will need a lot of plants to fill it.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2020
    You need to have a look at photos, online garden centres etc to see what plants you like the look of. 
    They will also give you advice on where to plant, sun, shade, etc
    Must haves for me it would be an Amelchanier tree, a crab apple or flowering cherry. Magnolia.  Loads of clematis up the fences.
    A fatsia, huge evergreen leaves.  Hebe. Grasses and various perennials for summer and autumn colour.
    Daffodils, snowdrops, primrose, polyanthus for spring. 
    Hardy geraniums for ground cover.
    Roses.
    As I loathe mowing grass my boarders would be around 6 to 8ft deep with a bark walkway in the middle to access the rear plants or the odd stepping stone.

Thanks for all the replies so far, if I make borders 1m wide, will this be suffice for plants to give lots of foliage and colour,  I want the borders too really stand out, when I look over the lawn so willing to make changes.