Forum home Plants

Spirea

harmonyharmony Posts: 399
Hi, I cut back my Spirea last month by half to around 2ft 6ins. I'm not sure which one but it is summer flowering with pink bottlebrush type flowers. It is sprouting nicely but does anyone know will it reach its original height this year. Thanks

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    I don't think it would be possible for anybody to answer that question, it is just guess work.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    I doubt it. It'll grow quite a bit, but I wouldn't have thought it would grow more than around a foot, assuming it has optimum conditions.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    harmony said:
    Hi, I cut back my Spirea last month by half to around 2ft 6ins. I'm not sure which one but it is summer flowering with pink bottlebrush type flowers. 

What a shame.
    You have just removed all the flowers for 2020.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • harmonyharmony Posts: 399
    😦😕 Oh I thought summer flowering  Spirea flowered on new wood. Oh well if I've made a mistake I will learn from it. The leaves are a beautiful bright green though so not all is lost...
    harmony said:
    😦😕 Oh I thought summer flowering  Spirea flowered on new wood. Oh well if I've made a mistake I will learn from it. The leaves are a beautiful bright green though so not all is lost...
    But it will not have a chance to recover, grow new shoots and leaves and produce flower in a short time.

The general advice re pruning is flowers first...then prune.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    Not to worry @harmony - they're hard to kill  ;)
    It'll be fine next year for you, and you'll have rejuvenated it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    edited April 2020
    I cut my Spirea japonica 'Shirobana' and 'Anthony Waterer' down to a couple of inches early every spring (March) every year for the last 12 and they flower beautifully all summer!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • harmonyharmony Posts: 399
    Thankyou all, yes I've got Anthony Waterer and i prune it March and mine flowered beautifully as well. Just remembered the Spirea I'm asking about is Dougalasii...
    edited April 2020
    Spiraea douglasii.

RHS advice.....Pruning group 2. If overgrown, can be renovated by cutting back hard immediately after flowering.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/22834/Spiraea-douglasii/Details
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .