Forum home Problem solving

Plant Identification help

jacquelineaj22jacquelineaj22 Posts: 5
edited April 2020 in Problem solving
Hi,
Can anybody identify these plants/shrubs for me please?
Thank you

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    Not without a picture!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • So sorry, lol I’m new to this, I thought I had uploaded.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    The last one is Acanthus (I think mollis rather than spinosus but it might just look softer because it's new growth).
    The middle one is a hellebore.
    Can't work out the top one - has the camera distorted the colour?
  • Thank you JennyJ, I will upload another of the top one. I do know that it grows quite rapid and spreads quickly.
    Another question I have is do you think it would be fine to dig up and move the other two plants now or wait until Autumn?
    I am a complete novice, all the plants were here when we moved in.
    Does it turn woody if you leave it? It looks a lot like the new young foliage of snowberry (Symphoricarpos) which is a shrub that suckers freely. It could look like that if it had been cut down to ground level.
    I'd say wait until autumn unless you can move them soon and water lots. The acanthus will sprout from the tiniest bit of root left behind, so expect to see it popping up again after you think you've moved it ;)
  • Hi, Thank You for the information JennyJ, it was about 5ft x 5ft but we cut it right down to ground level and the growth in the photo is about 3 weeks old, it grows extremely quick. If I remember rightly it was woody. The roots are very strong, I am hoping to keep it up against the fence and try growing as a hedge if possible. I appreciate your help, especially being new to gardening.