Forum home The potting shed

Dwarf verbascum?

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
 Can anyone explain what has happened?

They are only about 6" tall and flowering....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,447
    I’ve got some like that, low growers and some 5’ tall ones flowering later. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I didn't realize there were low growers, thought something stunted them.  I planted them at the back oh the border expecting tall flowers  :D
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,021
    I have grown some from seed and mine look exactly like yours Mary. I think they are just immature plants and will be taller and more impressive next year fingers crossed.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,389
    They look like Verbascum phoenicium, which is relatively short. That flower stem should extend a bit as it opens.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    @Bright star I planted them from seed, and others in previous years, of course I've mislaid the details of which variety it is, but I remember thinking it was to be pink flowers not yellow 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235
    Verbascum phoenicum come in shades from white through pinks and reds to purples.   It's shorter than its yellow flowered, biennial cousin and has greener foliage and is a short lived perennial but self seeds so you never need to run out.   Great for pollinators and easy to weed out the spares or transplant them to a new home if desired.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw