Forum home Plants

Chelsea Chop

B3B3 Posts: 27,327
I'm going to do the business on my sedums soon. Is there anything else that would benefit from it?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,466
    Phlox, if you have them  :)
  • SlumSlum Posts: 385
    Asters, Monarda, Lavender,  Nepeta, Echinacea, Artemisia, Helianthus and Rudbeckia.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,327
    I have lavender.Will add them to my list of one😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,015
    Heleniums.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,408
    edited April 2020
    None of mine are yet big enough to chop anything. I feel quite inadequate.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Chelsea is over 3 weeks away so take heart @Lizzie27 they might be big enough by then!
    I had a long list from Crocus by Alan Titchmarsh back in 2007 with what to do with perennials starting in May/June and going through to July/August.
    Most have been  mentioned but others are Macleaya cordata. Coreopsis grandiflora, Solidago, veronicastrum  but when I did mine it never flowered 

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Can I chop my Gaura?  I had two but one disappeared......   The remaining one seems to have been sat on (fox, cat who knows) and I'm not sure whether I should chop it and try for some cuttings or just prop it up?

I am not a flower person so please, if anyone can help, words of one syllable and slowly. Thank you.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,213
    edited April 2020
    Plants I treat with the Chelsea chop: Salvia Amistad (regularly); Phlox; Penstmon; Monarda; Mint; Physostegia virginiana; Asters; ...
    Plants mentioned by others but which I never chop: Gaura; Macleaya cordata; Lavender; Echinacea.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FireFire Posts: 18,973
    I've just chopped by bush salvia hedge (Bumble), because they were getting woody and I want them to be denser. The flowers will be later, but the plants healthier and more compact, I hope.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,388
    Lizzie27 said:
    None of mine are yet big enough to chop anything. I feel quite inadequate.
    Same!
    East Yorkshire