Forum home Tools and techniques

Patio Magic and Roundup

Hi all,

I know not everyone is a fan of chemicals, nevertheless I applied Patio Magic tonthe patio and drive last night and Im thinking of applying Roundup next.

One cleans and remove moss, the other kills plants, is my understanding.

Do they interact with each other/ get in each others way, or am I good to go?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,509
    You're probably better off with Patchclear.
    Roundup will only kill anything with enough leaves to absorb it.
    Pathclear kills everything and supposedly prevents seeds from germinating too.
    I've just bought Pathclear and Wet & Forget for the same job - but not actually used it yet. Recommended by the firm that laid it last year.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067
    Roundup only works via the leaves of living weeds, so it will kill any you have growing in the cracks etc.  However, it doesn't prevent weeds and spraying it on places where there are no weeds won't prevent them and is simply wasting it.  I don't know of any interaction between the two but you should always wait a week or so between treatments of anything to avoid any negative consequences.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,604
    edited April 2020
    Roundup has been sitting in my shed for ages, I rarely use this stuff, but yes Ill be putting it on the weeds not covering the whole area.

I used the pressure washer last couple of seasons but after I cleaned resanded last autumn tones of tiny weeds have grown through this spring.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,167
    I used to use Pathclear regularly and it is very effective. Now I try to avoid chemicals and actually find weeding the patio quite therapeutic. But then the last few years have had very dry summers here so growth is slow and I can keep up. In a wet year I'd probably have to resort to chemicals again.