Forum home Problem solving

Browning Strawberry Leaves

I have Allstar strawberries in pots in my house. It is almost warm enough to plant them outside. I am concerned because the edges of the leaves are starting to turn brown. This is my first time growing strawberries and I do not know what is going on or how to fix them. Any help is appreciated.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2020
    Strawberries are completely hardy so can be planted now (unless your soil is frozen.)  They won't appreciate being kept in centrally heated conditions inside a house at all, which is probably what is causing the edges of the leaves to brown.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you. I thought I might be overwatering them. The risk of frost should be gone in about a week. I was planning on planting them then but will prep the bed sooner to plant them outside.
    Frost doesn't worry strawberries at all, but because they have been kept indoors you will need to 'harden them off' by putting them outside each day and bringing back in each night for a week.  By then, they will have acclimatised and the shock of planting out won't be as great.  I'd cut down on the watering too, just in case.
  • Thank you for the suggestion. I will use this week to acclimate them. Any recommendations for the soul I put in the raised bed for them. Was going to get a loam compost mix from a local nursery.
    That mix sounds ideal - I've always found strawberries do better in the ground than in even very large pots of MPC so trying to replicate soil by by using a loam-based mix is a good idea.
  • Thank you for all the help.