Forum home Problem solving

Too early I know!

My non-gardening neighbour has asked me to plant some pots for her.  She has bought a couple of nice looking plastic pots and compost and has also bought some bedding plants which she has handed over to me to plant whenever is suitable!  I don't mind, but I'm not so sure about the responsibility of keeping her plants alive till it's time to plant.  Could I just pot them up for her and hand the pots back and leave the responsibility of looking after them to her?  Or is that a cop-out!?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,290
    Oh ‘eck ... has she got a porch or conservatory where she can put them overnight?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
    A neighbour asked me to look after an ancient cat while they were on holiday. I did all the right things but it buggered off and died somewhere while they were away. They were very nice about it but I knew at the back of their minds they thought I'd neglected him. He was indulged  more  than our own cats! 
    Don't take the responsibility for keeping them alive. If they die, it'll be your fault even if it isn't.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 907
    Plant up and explain that it’s too early in your area to leave them out all the time. After that not your problem !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    I'd agree with @Jacquimcmahon and with @B3's tale of woe. You'll have all the responsibility, and if they die, she'll blame you. 
    Better to say no to start with, although I appreciate it's too late.
    Next time [ ;) ] say you have too many of your own to find shelter for, and maybe suggest she gets a cold frame or one of those wee plastic greenhouses.
    Or buys you a greenhouse    :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Poly-anthusPoly-anthus Posts: 142
    Thanks everyone.  You've confirmed what I thought.  I'll plant them up tomorrow and hand them back!  She's a very good neighbour, very kind to us during this lockdown, but I have warned her that it's a bit soon to be putting out bedding plants, but it's up to her now, lol.
    B3, oh heck.  These neighbours of mine also have two ancient cats, and if their already booked holiday goes ahead (virus permitting), I'll have the responsibility of looking after them.  Hope the same thing doesn't happen!!
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    edited April 2020
    cats don't like new environment or noisy kids so I'm presuming both happened, the cat died, course they are going to resent the person looking after the cat at the time but it was ultimately them leaving that will have been too much for the cat. Whether they see it like that or not in future is not certain, certainly easier to resent someone else than ones own actions. Good example although I don't think the neighbour in this case will be expecting her plants to be looked after, just potted up correctly by the sounds of it
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
    It was a long time ago and I had minded it several times before no noisy kids and no new environment. I believe cats will sometimes take themselves off somewhere when they know their time is up.
    In London. Keen but lazy.