Forum home Plants

Plant identification please

Can anyone help me with this plant - what's it, am I cultivating lots of weeds or nurturing something lovely !!
They are coming up all over my garden- I only moved in 9 months ago .

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    That's a wild elderberry tree (Sambucus nigra) seedling or sucker - they are really hedgerow trees and are usually considered weeds in most gardens.  They grow like crazy, seed around like mad and the seeds are often a free 'gift' deposited by birds.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • My first instinct was to call this Borage (Pentaglottis sempervirens or Evergreen Alkanet).  I moved into my house a year ago and found them growing everywhere.  If yours are the same then they will develop small blue flowers.  I yank out the ones that are overshadowing things I like but otherwise leave the ones at the backs of borders/under trees where I have nothing else growing.  I also yank out the bottom leaves that sit on the soil and go brown/yellow ahead of the read of the plant.  

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I'm with Bob on this one, elder.  It will grow to a small tree or large shrub.  Good for wildlife, but not popular in small gardens.  Easy enough to dig out while they're small.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited April 2020
    Bob is spot on..definitely Sambucus nigra.....elder...a woody shrub/small tree.
    Pic below shows a single leaf with 5 leaflets.

Flowers make wonderful Elder flower champagne.
    The berries can be used to make Elder wine.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited April 2020
    My first instinct was to call this Borage (Pentaglottis sempervirens or Evergreen Alkanet).  I moved into my house a year ago and found them growing everywhere.  If yours are the same then they will develop small blue flowers.  I yank out the ones that are overshadowing things I like but otherwise leave the ones at the backs of borders/under trees where I have nothing else growing.  I also yank out the bottom leaves that sit on the soil and go brown/yellow ahead of the read of the plant.  

Pentaglottis leaves are very different. Leaves are single.
    It is a complete thug.
    If you do not weed every one out soon you will have nothing in your garden but this invasive, pretty weed.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .