Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sparrow Colony Wooden Nesting Box

Hi peeps just a quick question i hope bird lovers can help me with. I've just brought this sparrow colony nest box but when i opened it the box was one compartment, is this right. I read that sparrows are very social but they wont nest together will they, does it need dividing?.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    It's fine, the sparrows will build their own walls if they want to, it is just how it is in nature, often side by side.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    Mine is divided and having 3 holes suggests it should have 3 compartments. I'd say that was a bit of a DIY bodge job though looking at the screws poking through the wood at the back. Have a look at the BTO design guides for sparrow boxes and I'm sure they all say to divide them up.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    My sparrow terrace has three chambers; I bought it from the RSPB and they should know.  It's been on my garage wall for five years and never been occupied, though there has never been any shortage of house sparrows coming to my feeders.  The only thing I can think of it that it's not high enough.  One of these fine days I'll get round to putting it on the house wall where it can go higher.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,250
    Voyagerxp -  If you're concerned about having divisions there's nothing to stop you putting them in yourself?  I'm an opportunist salvager and, every time there's an election, I pick up a few of the corrugated plastic campaign boards that come in very useful for odd jobs here and there.  The material isn't only used in elections so, if you can find any from another source, they'd be ideal for this purpose.  Most of our bird boxes have roofs made of it but they're so simple to make yourself, I'd suggest you make your own to your own design?
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635
    edited April 2020
    Thanks , i'll put some divisions in , i've got some bits of timber laying around.