Forum home Problem solving

Help me save my Peony Tree!

Hi all, I’m a bit of a gardening novice and I’m looking for a bit of advice. I planted a young peony tree a few months ago in some very clay-y soil and it didn’t take well. I then decided to pot it instead as it was beginning to droop and read that they don’t like waterlogged soil. Since then my partner has watered the pot a few times and I think it’s now overwatered. Is it too late for this plant or can I do anything to save it? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    Just leave it in a sheltered spot ... only water when the soil an inch below the surface is dry (stick your finger in up to the first joint) ... then give it a good soaking and let the pot drain. (I presume the container has drainage holes?). If you can raise the container on pot feet or three half-bricks or similar that’ll help it to drain. 
    Keep checking but don’t water again until you’ve done the finger test and it’s dry an inch below. 

I think that the damaged leaves are the result of the plant having put on some tender new growth because of the warm sunny days which has then been damaged by the chilly night’s we’ve had. That’s what happened to my tree paeony ... I moved it into a sheltered corner where it gets some sun but not the gold wind that whistles around the other corner, and it’s much happier now and putting on new growth. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh