Forum home Problem solving

Rose dying :(((

hello! 

I have a rose which I planted a few months ago and was doing really well, growing strong and with green leaves, and is now all wilting :(

I have watered it, and gave it new compost and rose feed. I don’t know what’s happening :( 

I’m very sad. Can you help me save it? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    edited April 2020
    It looks as if it’s planted all wrong (sorry). It needs a much deeper container and a soil-based compost. 
    Multipurpose compost just dries out too quickly, especially in a shallow container, added to which the container is only half full of compost. 
    That rose looks as if its roots have been allowed to dry out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ozma83ozma83 Posts: 38
    Thanks! And don’t apologise :) 

thing is this has happened in the last 2 days. It was always planted like that and in that compost, and it was thriving! Yesterday I have also put it in water...  This said, I will now follow your advice. Is there anything I can do in the meantime while I wait for the new compost to arrive? 
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Roses can fool you, they look fine one minute and next they are in dire trouble.  I agree with dove, needs to be planted much deeper.......
    Thanks. How do I keep it alive while the new compost arrives? 
    Find a bigger deeper container ... have you got some reasonable garden soil you can dig up?  If so mix it half and half with the compost you used in that container and use it to plant the rose in the new bigger container ... that will do for the rest of this year ... keep it moist but not soggy and keep it in the shade while it tries to recover. 
    I would plant it so that all of the base of the plant is below soil level. 

Have a look through this thread https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1035389/the-new-rose-season-2020/p1
    lots of really great information there. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you! I have planted it in this pot 

Hopefully a bit better? Is it fine to stay outside for now? X 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,132
    Sorry to be blunt, but your rose is dead...
    Oh dear ... maybe I was being a bit optimistic ... @marlorena is the fount of knowledge on here re roses🥀 

Got it, what makes you say it’s dead? It’s good for me to know so I can learn :) 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,132
    What little cane you have there has all turned black.. when it's black, it's dead.. I see no life in it, and those drooping green shoots will not recover... to be frank, it's a waste of time and potting compost trying to revive something that won't return...  get rid, and get something else better..

...it's possible somebody in a neighbouring garden has sprayed weedkiller, and it's drifted over... it happens this time of year...