Forum home The potting shed

Suitable materials for dwarf fruit tree planters

We bought some dwarf fruit trees last year that have done fairly well in their relatively small pots. I recently moved them into the largest pots (terracotta or plastic) I have. I read up that they should really be in containers that are at least 2ft deep, and about 2ft square. After much research I am concerned as to what timber is safe to use to construct these, as in treated timber or treated decking boards as to what might leach out of the wood into the soil and then in to the fruit. Any advise and help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,474
    Ours are in large plastic pots and doing fine
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,235
    If you just line the timber beds, they'll be fine. It's better to do that anyway, as it helps preserve the timber.  :)
    I made mine with fencing timber [heavy duty] and  used a roll of plastic I already had, but you could utilise old compost bags or something similar.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the info. 
    Nanny Beach - what size pots are they, and about what size are your trees?
    Fairygirl - do you have any reference details for data on the plastic lining? Maybe I am being over the top, but I was also concerned with going down this route as most plastics will degrade in sunlight, and again could contaminate the soil and ultimately the fruit. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,474
    Have just measured 18 inch diameter, 17 inches high, slightly narrower a the bottom, trees, around 6 feet, now, a pear, 2 cherries,a plum and a fig, some are even smaller pots, after 5 years the plastic hasnt degraded, at all.  You could of course, use clay, but they would be very expensive, they do look nicer. Withour raised beds, they arent deep enough to plant fruit trees, Hubby made them from gravel and scafold boards, some are lined with black plastic sold as weed control, and some are that weed control, with the green lines on it, they are still fine after 8 years. Dont overthink it, thats fatal! The pots are fed once a year, top dressed with a bit more MP compost nothing fancy. The trees were bought as 2 year olds, last year, we had crops, from all bar the pear.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065
    Thanks for the info. 
    Nanny Beach - what size pots are they, and about what size are your trees?
    Fairygirl - do you have any reference details for data on the plastic lining? Maybe I am being over the top, but I was also concerned with going down this route as most plastics will degrade in sunlight, and again could contaminate the soil and ultimately the fruit. 

The black plastic lining will be under the soil so the sun will have no effect.  The black plastic used in compost bags and bin-liners etc. is LPDE.
    LPDE is also used for making water tanks for potable water.  I think you are worrying unnecessarly.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • OK, thanks for all of the info. Very much appreciated!
    I have some weed control stuff spare, so will use that as the lining and hopefully when the builders merchants re-open, I will be able to get some suitable timber.
    I am hopeful we will start getting some fruit in the next few years then.