Forum home Plants

Orchids chances?

FoolioFoolio Posts: 94
Can this orchid make it? There is a green leaf starting albeit tiny! Can it be turned around? I'd like to keep it, if it has a chance.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Do you have a picture? None showing here. 
  • FoolioFoolio Posts: 94
    Whoops here it is! 
    edited April 2020
    Well it's still alive so it's worth a try. Pot it into a suitable sized clear sided pot with orchid compost. Set it in good but not direct light and mist it every day. Water once a week preferably with rainwater and let it run through and out. Don't let it sit in water. 

Hopefully it will sprout some new arial roots and put on new growth. I'm no expert but I've kept mine flowering for 4 years so I must be doing some thing right  :)

Good luck, hope it works. 

• FireFire Posts: 18,966
    The photo doesn't look like it's in a pot. There is what looks like a leaf budding which is a good sign. Can you show us the rest of the plant?
  • FoolioFoolio Posts: 94
    That's what was in a pot, that's the whole thing.  I took it out of pot to chuck but it's got a green leaf coming.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    Oh wow. Ok. I'm amazed it has any green at all. I find orchid v hard to bring back from the almost-dead. I would put it in the compost bin.
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    I’d give it a go just to satisfy my curiosity. You should find out reasonably soon if it’s worth it as in my experience they grow at a reasonable rate, give it a few weeks and that leaf will be bigger or dead 😂 and then we will know. Good luck! 
    I'm just wondering now how it got like that.. 
  • Probably underwatering dried out the roots? @bijdezee
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    It is still alive and it might be worth reviving it for curiosities sake but it will take years to flower so up to you if you want to try. Like 1year for new roots and a leaf to form, then couple of years to grow enough leaves and then another year to flower - that's my estimate under optimal conditions.

Bijdezee's advice is right, preferably give it rain water, good amount of light but never direct sun light, either behind a net curtain or slightly away from direct sun.

Most would pot it up in some fresh orchid bark which might be hard to find at the moment.

The roots are in a very fragile state so any media could risk rotting the roots completely - it needs to be quite chunky bark so plenty of air can circulate.

Alternatively you can leave it bareroot, in a pot and dunk it in some rain water every 3 days. The roots should change colour from the silver in the the picture to green when hydrated. They should dry out again between watering to prevent them from starting to rot.