Forum home Problem solving

Japanese knotweed identification

Hi. I've just been out in the garden and notice some bamboo like plants. They have heart like leaves. Purple speckled stems that are hollow and are about 6 foot tall. They are growing about 6 inches a day 🙈

Can anyone help me identify 

Thanks in advance

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited April 2020
    Hi @prelovedbugz  and welcome to the forum 😊

That looks like JKW to me. 
    How long have you been there? Do you open the property?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,101
    It looks lo JKW to me too
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Yes we own the property. We bought it 4 years ago and when we moved there in the space where it is growing now
      was full of what what I thought to be bamboo stems. We cleared it all as it was on lawn also and it appears to have come back 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    Hmm ... I can’t imagine that sellers were unaware of that much JKW on their property ... they’re supposed to have declared it ... if they tried to conceal it they may have broken the law. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    You have a tough, long fight ahead.

what I would do...  order plenty of ammonium sulphamate ( area dependent ), some of which is mixed with wallpaper paste to make a paste which is painted on to the leaves and then cover the plant with a clear plastic bag ( you could add glyphosate to the mix if you wish ).  At the same time dissolve 1kg in 1ltr of water and inject this solution into the stems, you can get the necessary equipment quite readily.

Keep this up for as long as you get new growth.  Using the paste and injecting reduces the risk to surrounding plants you may wish to save.

you also need to find where it is coming from.
  • Thankyou so much for all your help