Forum home Problem solving

Drooping Virbinium Tinnus

Looking for advice.I recently bought a Virbinium Tinnus which looked lovely and perky when I planted it 5 days ago but is now looking a little sad and droopy (as pictured).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's currently in acid soil on a west facing border. Partial shade from North / south aspects. Was planted with ericaceous compost and has been watered late evening each day.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    How much water have you been giving it? 
     All those green leaves and flowers need a lot of water and until the roots are established I’d be giving it a couple of buckets full of water, poured on the soil at the base of the stem,  every evening. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    What size of pot did it come in? Looks a big plant.
  • CumbriManCumbriMan Posts: 67
    Hi, it was in quite a big pot. I'm not great with sizes so took a photo of the original pot beside a tin of beans for scale 😂.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421
    Is it too close to a slug beer trap.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I think you need to give it a bit more time.
    It is quite a mature looking shrub and is probably in a bit of 'shock' at being planted out.
    It still has to establish more roots to sustain it so it may be a good idea to trim some of the branches after it has flowered to give it a chance.
    It could be at least a year or two before it really gets going.
    Also one reason I don't buy established large plants in pots.They look good but then struggle.Much better to start small and let the plant grow into the space intended.
    Good luck  :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    @AWB - No it isn't near a slug beer trap. I'm glad you mentioned it though; I've learnt something new as I had no idea what one was.
    @madpenguin that's good advice and something I hadn't considered. I'll look to buy younger plants in future and take on your advice to trim it back once flowered. The garden centre said it might be simply dehydrated so we've upped the watering to twice a day and just keeping an eye on it in the meantime 🤞
    @Dovefromabove I had been just watering it once in the evening. But upped this to twice yesterday to include mid morning. I thought I'd been quite liberal but on reflection it maybe needs a little more each time given the current hot spell.