Forum home Problem solving

What the heck is going on with my cherry trees

I have 2 young cherry trees (one prunus pink perfection and one royal burgundy) , in my garden almost 2 years now. I noticed what look like cankers on the pink perfection a while ago and then on the royal burgundy I've noticed awful splitting of the trunk shown in the pictures. I only noticed it today and haven't really been religiously inspecting them but I do go and look at them every day and it seems like this splitting has come from nowhere. Both trees are leafing and blossoming really nicely and the lesions totally dry. Not weeping at all. Can I do anything to save them? Thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    It does look like something (probably bacterial canker) has got in, probably via a pruning cut.  However, it may live for many more years yet as tree immune and repair systems are very good.  Cherry trees are relatively short-lived though (15-25 years is typical) and one reason is they are rather prone to picking-up diseases as they age.  The best you can do is to feed and regularly water it, and only ever prune it in mid-summer, never in winter.  If it deteriorates and doesn't flower well next spring, that would be the time to start considering replacement.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks. It's a young tree. Planted only 2 autumns ago and tbh I haven't ever pruned it. I suspect possibly it's due to the soil being really waterlogged over winter due to the floods? Although it's dry as a bone now spring has sprung. Is it worth painting anything over the poorly areas to stop things getting in? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    No, the RHS now advise against using wound paint as it can adversely affect the natural healing process.  Now you mention the waterlogging, that could well be playing a part, especially if some kind of root rot has set in.  All you can really do is wait and see, so fingers crossed.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,290
    You've got a rush growing by the trunk in one of the pictures, which strongly suggests wet  is an issue. It would be a good idea to remove the grass etc from round the base of the trunks to reduce competition and give the ground more chance to dry out.