Forum home Problem solving

Canker

gardenman91gardenman91 BrightonPosts: 429
Hello everyone

So I posted some pictures of what I feared was canker on my Apple tree. The tree itself has plenty of leaves and has bloomed well (bloom is now gone). Apart from having aphids and some mussel scale it’s looks healthy. I noticed these markings below the graft and also on the graft line. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,191
    edited April 2020
    No, I don’t think that is canker.

As I said before, the marks below the graft line are adventitious roots. To be ignored.

The crack above them does not, in my opinion, look like canker. It looks like a crack, possibly caused by wind rock.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have a couple of these also at the base of the graft of one of my otherwise thriving apple trees. I think they're burr knots. These are basically where the tree attempts to root above the root ball. They can be a problem if they grow so big they compromise the structure of the tree but I think are otherwise fairly harmless if around the graft and not higher up. If new roots start to grow just rub them off. I'm only a rookie myself so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but just thought I'd try and reassure you a bit  :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,191
    Thank you jann. You have confirmed what I said to margaret about this on another thread the other day.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • gardenman91gardenman91 BrightonPosts: 429
    Hi Jann and Pansy okay that’s good to hear! Thank you for the reassurance. 

Pansy, sorry to ask again I just worry about my plants, perhaps a bit too much! 😂 
  • It's hard not to worry when they're so pretty and you're putting so much effort into keeping them alive. See the post I've also made today about my cherry trees and photos too. THEY are trees riddled with disease  :D Your's looks beautiful compared to mine. I think we can really do is keep trying to keep them happy and the worst that'll happen is they die. There'll always be other plants and trees to plant