Forum home Problem solving

Is this bottlebrush dead?

ki_buxtki_buxt Son, NorwayPosts: 52
Purchased at a garden centre in Norway last year. Stood outside on the terrace all last summer and was fine. It has been in the cellar all winter. Our cellar is 10 degrees C minimum and has plant lights that switch on 12 hours per day. It has been outside in the daytime for the last week as we have had temps above 20 degrees C. Seems to have new growth on the tips, but the leaves are completely dried out. Should I prune it, or has it given up completely? 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    Scrape a little of the bark off a few twigs. If any of them are green underneath, the plant is alive
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ki_buxtki_buxt Son, NorwayPosts: 52
    Thank you! I'll cross my fingers and scrape a bit  :)
    I scraped and the twigs were a light green underneath. Should I prune it back a bit, or just let it be do you think? Thankful for any advice! 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    I don't know. At least it's alive! Give it a good drink . Someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,537
    It might have been happy in the daytime temperatures you have been having, but it is probably too early to be leaving it out overnight. It’s not happy and not cold-hardy below USDA zone 8. I suspect it has had a bit of a shock if temperatures have dipped overnight and that is what you are seeing. 
    We have only had it outside during the day. Have taken it in when the thermometer indicates 10 degrees C. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,537
    Hmm, sorry, don’t know what else to suggest then if it’s not temperature shock, except has it been windy? What the ‘real feel’ of the plant is in a chilly wind is different to what the thermometer says, so might have desiccated the leaves. Whatever caused it, it will hopefully shed those leaves and grow new ones. I probably wouldn’t prune it until it shows signs of new growth, then trim back any dead branch tips. Keep the soil moist but don’t water too deeply and let it regenerate in it’s own time. Good luck, I hope it recovers for you.
    Thank you I will follow your advice and see if it likes me enough to recover!!