Forum home Plants

The Good, The Bad or The Ugly?

craigandgillcraigandgill Posts: 3
edited April 2020 in Plants
Hi everyone, New gardener here again. Thanks for the tips re the ivy etc last time. New issue: this plant is growing from in the middle of the wall between my house and the one nextdoor. Neither of us have it planted in our gardens as far as I can see. So it seems it is self-set. Evergreen, with interesting, regular branches and pretty little pink flowers. I guess it's not good news for my wall so I should remove / kill it. Any advice most welcome. TIA

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Most likely some type of Cotoneaster shrub. Yes, in this instance, I think you will need to get it removed. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited April 2020
    That looks like Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus) which is infamous for having wandering roots and is probably not good news for the wall.  They are very pretty, but only in someone else's garden!
    Edit: Hmm, not sure now - it could be a cotoneaster instead, looking more closely at the leaves.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    I think it's a cotoneaster 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    So do I @Borderline and @Dovefromabove !  I am overrun with both and feel I know them intimately  :s 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett