Forum home Problem solving

Red robbin looks to dying

I am not an experienced gardener so I would be very grateful for some advice. I have a well established red robin shrub which has naturally grown into a tree shape rather than a hedge. It has been thriving well for approx 20years however this year it is struggling and appears to be dying. New shoots are visible , as are young leaves but they are not surviving and shrivelling.  All the leaves are now falling off.  Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,639
    If young leaves are forming and then shrivelling up, it could be lack of water at the moment. I would water them now and take your time to water properly, deep into the root area, and this may be 3-4 bucketful every day, over the next 5 days. 

It's a mature shrub, and may have been weakened by drought last year and then strong winds earlier this year. I think, in order to give it a chance to recover, you should try to prune back many of the long weak and damaged branches.

Sometimes, when they are allowed to grow into an open tree-like shape, they lose their ability to protect other branches and leaves. When harsh wind and bad weather arrives, the leaves are often stripped or damaged. The idea is to try and rejuvenate the branches so they form fresh new branches over the coming months. And on those new branches, there will be new evergreen leaves. 
  • Thanks for the advice, we will start doing that today.