Forum home Plants

Are these elephant ears ok?

EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
We've noticed some of our elephant ears plants have this brown colouring on the leaves. Not sure if it's a problem. A few days ago we discovered that our roses have a blackspot fungus problem and this looks a bit similar.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I think they're OK.  I've seen lots of them looking like that in a local public garden.  One of the reasons I don't like them - to me, they always look unattractively shabby.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    They can suffer quite a bit in strong sun. That's the most likely cause @EricsGarden
    They're best in a decent bit of shade, or dappled shade.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    josusa47 said:
    I think they're OK.  I've seen lots of them looking like that in a local public garden.  One of the reasons I don't like them - to me, they always look unattractively shabby.
    I'm not a fan either, but the flowers are really nice right now.
    Fairygirl said:
    They can suffer quite a bit in strong sun. That's the most likely cause @EricsGarden
    Thanks for the info. We have some in another part of the garden which is really shady and they aren't looking to happy either.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    They might be a wee bit dry. A moister soil is better for them. I just take off any rubbish leaves too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    edited April 2020
    Fairygirl said:
    Duplicate post sorry.
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 224
    In my experience, the best way to keep these plants look lovely is to cut-off those leaves that becomes brown, with spots and torn. It will come back with new and colourful leaves especially now it is Spring with their flowers. I have them both under direct sun and dappled shade and they look pretty all year round as their foliage colours changes every season from Spring to Winter. 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    My local NT garden holds the NT collection...probably because nobody else wanted it 😀. They are shabby IMO.
    SW Scotland