Forum home Wildlife gardening

Toad in pond

I've just been having a tidy up of pond plants and there's a small toad there. Makes me happier than anyone can imagine   :D

• JessumJessum Posts: 81
    Lucky you!  It's great to stumble upon something unexpected.  I made a washing up bowl pond in my garden but so far nothing has decided to pay it a visit.  
    I enjoy seeing a goldfinch that has decided to visit my bird feeder and I will be looking out for bats tonight as my neighbour has spotted them flying over our gardens.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    @Jessum. Oh yes, i forgot to look for the bats, not sure if it's a bit early yet but it's been warm enough I think. 
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    this guy scared me today when i reached down to pick something up in my shed and he jumped.  i quickly put him in my garden
    He's so cute @jamesholt. What sort of Toad is that? I notice you are from the US. 
  • MoklesMokles Posts: 30
    Bijdezee said:
    I've just been having a tidy up of pond plants and there's a small toad there. Makes me happier than anyone can imagine   :D
    I can relate to that. 🙂
    About a month after we'd built our pond (with the specific intention of attracting frogs) a little fellow or fellowess, popped their head up and startled me. After watching for a while I then saw another. 👏
    Not seen anything yet this year.😕

Our little pool frog seems fearless, he doesn't bother when I'm fussing about there taking out any plant bits. Just sits there  :)
    I spoke too soon...
    @Mokles.    Nice, bet you were pleased to see him/her again. 
    Definitely  - though it's not the same one - it's smaller than the two we saw last year.
    These are strange frogs - pool frogs I'm told, they seem to change colour as they grow. The first pic is the tiny one that's there now and the second pic is the one from last year.