Forum home Tools and techniques

Lawn Edging

A bit of a do you remember. I am convinced a few years ago there was a fad for cutting lawn edges deep and then using a plasterers float or trowel with water to smooth them off. I was talking about this to a colleague who couldn't believe people would, do go to such lengths. I had a look online but couldn't find anything - am I just imagining it?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426
    I haven't heard of the plasterer's float being used, but it wouldn't surprise me as some people are fanatical about border edging.  Even now you will sometimes see border edges cut 3 or 4 inches deep.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,134
    @andrewnewton Are you sure that story of "plasterers float or trowel" was not posted on April 1st? ;)

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,921
    “ Even now you will sometimes see border edges cut 3 or 4 inches deep.”

Hmm ... that’ll be me, then.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,134
    Remember, @BenCotto "The first cut is the deepest"

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Papi Jo said:
    @andrewnewton Are you sure that story of "plasterers float or trowel" was not posted on April 1st? ;)

Nope it's from the depths of my memory, which I accept may not be the most reliable source  :o
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426
    On GW a couple of years ago they featured a gentleman who swept his lawn daily to remove wormcasts and mowed it every 2 or 3 days throughout the summer.  Beautiful lawn and I wouldn't have been surprised to see him doing something similar to the edges.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2020
    I did this many years ago using the back of a trowel. 
    If memory correct it was in front of a dry stone wall which made the edge difficult to keep neat. Not sure if strimmers were available then but if they were I didn't or couldn't afford one.
  • K67 said:
    I did this many years ago using the back of a trowel. 
    If memory correct it was in front of a dry stone wall which made the edge difficult to keep neat. Not sure if strimmers were available then but if they were I didn't or couldn't afford one.
    Thanks for that glad I wasn't imagining it  :#