Forum home Problem solving

paper seed pots in a drive to reduce plastic

in a drive to remove all plastics from use in my house eventually (although I will use it untill each bit becomes completely unusable) I decided to get a little paper pot maker for planting my seeds in. We don't buy newspapers and although I would love to use the rubbish mail that comes through the door, I believe that shiny paper won't rot down so isn't useable (though I might be wrong). So I was wondering about the Gardeners world magazine - the cover is very shiny so probably unusable but the inner pages are less so. Does anyone know if they would be suitable for making seed pots from? Anyone experimented with different papaers?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Most paper will rot down, but the shinier it is, the longer it takes.  IME, newspaper is a bit too absorbent and starts to fall apart before the seedlings are ready to pot on or plant out.  I use the TV guide, shiny but quite thin.  I fold a page lengthwise then wrap it round the potter.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    I’ve had my Potter pot maker for years, scrounge newspapers from someone else as we don’t have them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    I buy mt seeds from Real Seed Company as they use paper seed packets.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.