Forum home Problem solving

clematis and Honeysuckle- when to rejuvenate?

I have an overgrown early flowering clematis and honeysuckle growing intertwined.  The undergrowth is very woody and I want to give them a rejuvenating prune. My question is when to do it? if i do it after the clematis flowers, sacrificing this year's honeysuckle blossom will that injure the honeysuckle? I'd prefer to do it then and lose the honeysuckle bloom this year rather than lose next year's clematis blossom by doing it when honeysuckle dormant. thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    That will be fine.   Just be sure to feed and water when you're done hacking so that they feel inclined to re-grow.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • earlydazeearlydaze Posts: 84
    Thanks for the advice- will liquid seaweed feed be okay or is there something they prefer?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Clematis are hungry plants and would prefer special clematis feed or tomato fertiliser but seaweed is a fine start if that's what you have.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • earlydazeearlydaze Posts: 84
    have plenty of tomorite-- will use that- thanks for advice.