Forum home Problem solving

Help. Which are weeds? Suggestions for sunny front garden.

I am shockingly ignorant and am attempting to address this. For several years I have neglected my garden and am determined to restore it. Many plants appear to have withered and died, and I have little idea about which are weeds. I recognise the rosemary, blue bells and fuchsia. Please, if you can spare the time, help me! Can you name any of these? What do I remove? Any suggestions for what I should replace them with? Thank you so much!

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    The bluebells are Spanish, Hyacinthoides hispanica.  Invasive and hard to get rid of.  If you, or any of your neighbours has native bluebells, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, they can hybridise (pollinating insects can't tell them apart) and the more vigorous Spanish and hybrids will out-compete the natives.  

The red-leaved tree/bush is an Acer, not usually a problem plant.  Not sure about anything else, the one with big greyish leaves is maybe Chenopodium album, known as fat hen because it's nutritious food for chickens.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2020
    I don't think you have much there which would be called a weed as such, except for the spanish bluebells and the Cleavers (Galium aparine) which needs pulling out whenever you see it.  The 3rd pic show foxgloves which are starting to send up flowering stems I think and the 4th shows tulip leaves at the back below a lovely overhanging japanese red acer.
    However, it does look like you have a lot of shrubs & trees which may need pruning, but we'll need to see more in order to be able to advise.  For each one, please post a photo of the whole bush and a close-up of leaves and flowers (if any.)
    Best not to post too many at once and number the photos if you can. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
     I would agree with getting rid of the spanish bluebells before you plant anything new in the area - they are a monster to get out from among other plants. Don't ask how I know :s
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281
    The obvious one to me is the brownish one right in front of your shoe.
    It's common rush and will carry on getting larger, smothering your plants and self seeding prolifically. You will need a strong fork and some determination to get it out, but make sure you don't leave any root behind or it will regrow.
    I've just spent the last two days removing self sown plants of it from the boggy beds around my pond. It loves damp ground and the fields and moors around us are full of it. I want the garden to look a bit different!
  • fiona1957fiona1957 Posts: 12
    This is incredibly helpful. Thank you all so much. Will now remove cleavers and blue bells! Starting to get very enthusiastic about the garden. Really appreciate this forum.
  • fiona1957fiona1957 Posts: 12
    Thank you Buttercupdays. I did not know it was a rush. It is very ugly. We tried to dig it up and will again. Many thanks! 
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 552
    I thought the large rosette type plant was Sweet Rocket. Need to see another picture when in flower.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    The large rosette plant looks like some kind of Verbascum. Difficult to see well in the high contrast.