Forum home Fruit & veg

Rocket

A few years ago I planted rocket that did quite well but it was very pungent and not to our liking. We do like the type that is in the supermarket mixed salad bags. Can anyone recommend a mild peppery variety please? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    I grow salad leaves  in a tray of compost, and cut the leaves off with scissors. If you cut them young, they are not as strong. They get stronger as they get older and  start to bolt. If you sow a small amount every three weeks, you get new leaves all season.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • floraltipsfloraltips Posts: 89
    Only seeing this now
    @fidgetbones thank you. Sown some more so will see how it goes. 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,620
    We’re growing a variety this year that is new to us, called Speedy.  It’s very nice with good germination rates.  We previously grew Duchy of Cornwall and that was good but not so good at germination.  
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    Wild rocket and wasabi rocket tend to have more of a kick so avoid those if you prefer a milder tasting one. 

As well as picking young, you could also try watering more often. I’ve just started reading James Wong’s book on grow for flavour and he mentions watering less for more flavour.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I can't stand rocket, don't like the slightly bitter aftertaste, so I grow Mustard Frills. A red ruffled salad leaf with a peppery taste that isn't too strong.

Actually prefer watercress but the baby birds put a stop to that experiment this year when they hoyed it out of the water  :s 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • floraltipsfloraltips Posts: 89
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. @herbaceous the "mustard frills" sounds nice. Might have a root around for that one.