Forum home Plants

Garden Border - Evergreen shrubs in your garden

KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 108
Hi all,

I need your valuable advice please. 

My garden that is 1 and half years old,  has the lawn surrounded by an edging border on 3 different sides ( at the moment have nothing p  ) , i want the garden to look happy and evergreen throughtout the seasons of the year and hence wanted some advice with with evergreen shrubs please, something that you have tried and tested in your garden . 

Thank you all - stay safe . 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Pittosporum, Euonymus, Choisya, Pyracantha, Lonicera nitida, Privet argenteum, Abelia.  Have lots of evergreen plants too. 
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 108
    Pittosporum, Euonymus, Choisya, Pyracantha, Lonicera nitida, Privet argenteum, Abelia.  Have lots of evergreen plants too. 

Thank you very much
  • Hebe Black Beauty.. lovely alternative to green.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    Evergreens I have in the borders are some hebes, viburnim tinus and rosemary.

Not a shrub but a plant that's been evergreen and ever-flowering for the past year is erysimum bowles mauve that might also be worth a look.
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 953
    Also, heuchera (more of a "clump-forming perennial" than a shrub, though) are nice at the front of the border, and come in a wide variety of colours. Retain much of their foliage through the year, and burst afresh in the spring.
    Lincolnshire
    Hexagon said:
    Euonymous is great - I have maybe 10 shrubs of a few different varieties and all different shapes.
    I have a choisya which is very slow growing. Not sure it was worth the money I paid for it. It looks a bit sad where it is.
    I also have a few cotoneasters of various types with some lovely autum colour and winter berries. The bees like it.
    Lonicera nitida "baggesens gold" gets to a really decent size and can be trimmed into precise shapes.
    You could consider a skimmia japonica, but people will tell you that they look a bit "anaemic" because they prefer acidic soil, so the leaves will be lighter in colour rather than a glossy dark green. Personally doesn't bother me, I like the flowers (as do the bees) and the berries.
    There is also a massive viburnum with white flowers in spring. Sadly mine is badly munched by the beetles. If that wasn't the case I would have bought another one.

Thank you very much 

Evergreens I have in the borders are some hebes, viburnim tinus and rosemary.

Not a shrub but a plant that's been evergreen and ever-flowering for the past year is erysimum bowles mauve that might also be worth a look.

Thank you very much 
    Hebe Black Beauty.. lovely alternative to green.
    Thank you much 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    Hebes and Choisya 'Aztec Pearl' are nice. Box is lovely - especially now there's new growth appearing that glows in the evening sun. I use coloured foliage sparingly, and in fact don't overdo evergreens in general - the effect of them can actually be a bit depressing because the foliage is often a bit dark and heavy. You need the fresh greenness and seasonal interest of deciduous shrubs as well. Try late winter/early spring perennials as well, like Hellebores and Pulmonarias.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • newbie77newbie77 Posts: 1,825
    My fav evergreen shrubs are choisya, nandina and sarcoccoa
    South West London