Forum home Problem solving

Aphids on roses

How damaging are aphids on roses. I've a couple of small ramblers, probably 8-9 feet high, growing well but the new growth and buds are smothered in aphids already. Do I need to spray to prevent damage, or is it something which does no long term damage to the plant or buds. I've tried squashing them, but the next day they're back, heaven knows where they come from.
Thank you.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    They will easily damage the growth and new buds. Weak washing up liquid solution in a hand squirter. Spray them liberally, encourage them to fall off with fingers, spray again. Repeat every 2-3 days and it will control them.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,245
    .....if not, boil rhubarb leaves, strain off the liquid and spray on when cool.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,601
    If you can hold your nerve and leave them the ladybirds 🐞 will soon move in and hoover them up or try hanging bird feeders nearby a lot of small birds eat aphids. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    edited April 2020
    Early in the season I brush them off with my fingers or squirt them off with a hose ... then the bluetit families, ladybirds, lacewings and wasps deal with them for the rest of the summer.  I no longer spray aphids with anything ... I find the results are better without. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    I didn't really believe the bird thing. I usually do the fondle of death on the buds and young leaves but I have recently put a bird feeder near my roses and the birds are definitely after something.  Definitely fewer aphids so far.
    In London. Keen but lazy.