Forum home Problem solving

Can anyone tell me what this is please??

I’m new to this whole gardening malarkey and I’ve come across these plants/weeds (I’m not sure) in the garden I’ve attached photos to see. If anyone could tell what they are please that would be fab. Thanks in advance x

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    montbretia or crocosmia
    Devon.
  • Great! Thank you they’ve never flowered though,they’ve always stayed this way is there a reason why this is??
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Very congested. Try splitting them up, fertilise the soil, and plant each bulb 3 or four inches apart. Too late to do it this year, Dig the clump up when they die down in Autumn and then split.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    When you dig them up, each stem will have several corms attached - the highest ones in the soil (ie the nearest one to the leaves) is the one you want to re-plant.  The others lower down on the same stem can be discarded.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Great!! Thank you both really appreciate it.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    If you want more, the lower corms can also be planted but they tend to spread very well all on their own (too well in some cases!), if they are the common one which is often called montbretia.  For named cultivars, the RHS recommends trying to life and re-plant the whole string of corms intact, but that is usually easier said than done!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.