Forum home Plants

Ivy or something else?

Does anyone recognise this? 

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 954
    I think it is an ivy, there are lots of different ones and often the younger leaves look less like the typical ivy shape
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    What's the situation?  Is it climbing, or spreading across the ground?  How long has it been growing?
  • Thanks for the responses! It's on the ground between some other plants.  I didn't want to kill it if it was something else but also I definitely don't want ivy! Been there already 😒
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Pretty sure that is lesser celandine (Ficaria verna) and think I can seed a seed pod.  Do you remember yellow buttercup-like flowers?
    It's amlost impossible to remove but the leaves will soon all die down and it will re-appear next winter.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Liz.S.Liz.S. Posts: 55
    Second vote for celandine, can see bulblets on some of the stems.
    "Life returns. Life prevails. Resistance is futile" Rusty the dalek
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,838
    Liz.S. said:
    Second vote for celandine, can see bulblets on some of the stems.
    Third ✅ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardener said:
    Pretty sure that is lesser celandine (Ficaria verna) and think I can seed a seed pod.  Do you remember yellow buttercup-like flowers?
    It's amlost impossible to remove but the leaves will soon all die down and it will re-appear next winter.

First time I've seen it in the garden so will check for yellow flowers.  Should I try and keep it from spreading or it'll do that anyway?
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    It’s an absolute pain here, I dig it out in bucket fulls,  you only need to leave one little white bulblet in and next year they’re off again. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ok it's sitting in a pot now as I'm curious how it turns out.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,838
    Lesser celandine flowers in Feb/March ... them the leaves grow for a bit before dying down for the summer and reappearing next spring ... so my guess is that it will die back quite soon. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.