Forum home Wildlife gardening

‘Flollopy’ sweet peas 😞

Afternoon everyone.  Every year I sow sweet peas, and this year I sowed them in January in root trainers.  They germinated very quickly and soon become lovely, strong little plants.  As soon as the roots came through I potted on to larger pots and although they have lots of side-shoots (they were pinched out) they are very limp, thin and generally a bit ‘flollopy’.  I bring them out during the day, in this fine weather, then put them in the greenhouse at night.  Shall I stick with them and hope they fill out once planted or is there anything I’m doing wrong which could be rectified?  Any advice please would be welcome.   🙏

• I’ve no idea how this ended up in wildlife gardening 🙄 Could someone with more intelligence that me move it to somewhere more relevant!  Thank you 😊 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They are wanting to climb, so they need support.
    I would plant them out and provide some support.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • punkdoc said:
    They are wanting to climb, so they need support.
    I would plant them out and provide some support.
    Not too early to plant out @punkdoc?  I’m in Hertfordshire and we’re pretty sheltered.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    No, not too early. I am in Sheffield and I have planted 2 lots out, 1 in March and 1 earlier this month. Sweet peas are very tough.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Yes - they should have been hardened off and outside a while ago.
    January isn't a good time to sow them. Either autumn, or around end of March or later is ideal. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    This is why I gave up sowing in Autumn, pinch the tops out, and harden them off, and next year as Fairy says sow later
  • Thanks everyone!  Brilliant advice .... as usual! ☺️
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Are those sweet peas variety 'Stanley unwin'? 
  • Never heard of them @Bijdezee 🤔 No they’re a mix of Heirloom mixed, Night and Day and Scent Infusion 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Sweet peas should ideally take around two to three weeks to germinate. If they're overheated, they just become leggy and then it's harder to get them back on track. They don't do well with over protecting, other than from rough weather when they're small. 
    I sowed some at the end of March, they're about an inch or two high, and are already out all day and in at night only.  :)
    I rarely sow in autumn, because April sown ones catch up here. It's not usually warm enough for overwintered ones to grow much if planted out. I did some last year though, and they've been planted out for the last week or so. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....