Forum home Problem solving

trachelospermum jasminoides - drying and falling leaves

simonepaludosimonepaludo Posts: 1
edited April 2020 in Problem solving
Hello
we’ve planted these trachelospermum jasminoides last fall. They are all facing south/SE though some have shade in the morning and/or in the afternoon. My husband had put some dried leaves around aiming to protect them during the winter. I’ve removed that on the first week of April because the weather is nice and sunny.  
Our dog didn’t like the trachelospermum jasminoides because they block her view and so she broke them a bit during fall and winter. Now we’ve put alittle « fence » to protect them from the dog.
The first picture shows where they are planted. They get this shade around 4pm. 

I couldn’t take care of them during  fall/winter because of bad weather and a small baby.
When spring started I’ve realized that many leaves were drying and falling. 
The weather is sunny and dry, but not too warm, and I water them once per day.
I would love to see them growing and thriving. 
Can someone please help me identify what’s happening? 
Thanks in advance! 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Not sure how much you are watering per day, but I think it is most likely not enough. The soil looks very dry. Aim for a full bucket directly into the root area in the early morning or late evening. 

Also not sure with your local weather conditions right now, so hard to advise. However, I think laying a thick layer of bark chip or leaf mould will help hold moisture in.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,676
    Not sure how much you are watering per day, but I think it is most likely not enough. The soil looks very dry. Aim for a full bucket directly into the root area in the early morning or late evening. 
    Just to clarify, that's a bucketful for each plant.
    I agree about a mulch too, and keep the area around them free of grass and weeds if you can manage it (not easy with a little one to look after). I think I can see bits of ivy, grass, herb robert and birdseye speedwell - nothing too bad yet, but they'll spread and take water and nutrients if you leave them.