Forum home Problem solving

Troubled Laurel

Hello

I'm hoping you can help.  The laurel at the front of my garden  has started developing brown leaves.  

Its an old hedge - planted in 1955 when my parent built the house.  As I live in the West coast of Scotland, water / drought isn’t an issue, 

my partner things its being affected by the salt sprayed up from the road but I’m not convinced.  There’s a fair bit on the inside of the hedge where water spray wouldn’t reach.

ive spent ages online trying to troubleshoot but can’t see anything which looks similar to this problem.

any thoughts would be so appreciated

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Looks like  a nutrient deficiency, probably potassium. Although after all the rain over the Winter months, it is likely that Nitrogen is missing from it's diet too.
    Clear up any debris (discarded leaves) from around the area of the  plant and apply a slow release fertiliser, e.g. Blood , Fish and Bone, or Gromore, or Chicken pellets to help restore  the balance. 
    A liquid spray on the foliage of diluted Seaweed feed (EG Maxicrop) would also help.
    Remove the worst of the disfigured leaves gradually as they will not regain their greenness.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=456
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • MinxieMinxie Posts: 2
    Thank you.  I’ll start working on it tomorrow in the hope I can stop the rot so to speak.

thanks again.