Forum home Problem solving

Blackberry and Holly - not growing

edited April 2020 in Problem solving
Hi, 

A holly plant I have had since last year and a blackberry I planted in February (roots and single stem) are having problems growing. The holly has lost almost all leaves and stems and those remaining are blackened; it keeps trying to put out new stems and growth but all turns black pretty quickly. The blackberry has been and remains a single stem, which is now turning black from the top; I thought it was about to start putting out new growth and the stem was very green but this has since receded. They are grown in pots but I have an aronia planted at the same time as the holly that is in complete bloom after looking like a dead stick all winter. Any ideas what to do regarding the holly and blackberry; can they be saved? 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,501
    That's very strange. Are the pots kept in the same place and watered the same?
    I don't think the blackberry will grow very well in a pot (unless it's a dwarf variety although I don't know if there are any). They do much better in the ground where the roots can roam. 
  • They are in the same place and watered the same. The holly may have been slightly watered logged for a while but some additional drainage holes should have stopped that. I think it will come back but the new growth turning black quickly is what I don't understand. Thanks for the advice on the blackberry.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,157
    Sounds as if the water logging upset the holly. Black stems sounds bad news. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh